Monday, November 13, 2017

A Truly Beautiful Account from Shaykh Rabī’ - how he was with the books of his Shaykh (Al-AlBānī)


A Truly Beautiful Account From Shaykh Rabī’ On How He Was With The Books Of His Shaykh (Al-AlBānī) Whilst Completing His Masters And Doctorate And Thereafter


“Al-AlBānī was from the best of the Muslims and from the Imams of the People of Sunnah. He was one who dedicated himself to servicing the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allāh – sallallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam – even though he was poor and in need. He didn’t accept the various employment roles within the country although it was possible for him to acquire the highest of employment positions. But rather he refused the world in dedication to Allāh and in serving this religion. And he used to repair watches and feed himself with the earnings of his own hands. And he used to dedicate some of his efforts to writing – may Allāh have mercy upon him – he authored Ad-aīfah that reached 13 or 14 volumes, a service of a very high level.

I didn’t used to refer back to the writings of Shaykh Al-AlBānī. He’s my Shaykh and I respect him. However, I don’t have with me any of that partisanship to Al-AlBānī! By Allāh I don’t. By Allāh, I compiled my masters thesis and my doctorate thesis* and I didn’t refer back to him in anything and I didn’t transmit a single word from him, not out of any hatred for him, but firstly, with me the path of Salafiyyah is that you take the ‘ālī (from the highest narrator possible/the closest as possible to the source). I go back to the earliest scholars, to the highest point  in the chain! I don’t refer back to the later scholars, by Allāh, not to Al- AlBānī or other than him! Not out of pride! But based upon the way of the People of adīth! ……...

And I found that they would censure and scold the one who for example, would refer back to Abū ‘Amr Ad-Dānī whilst earlier before him was Imam so and so. How is it you transmit from the one who is the furthest down the chain of narration and you leave the highest?! And so upon this methodology I trod in my writings. Then after I graduated from my masters and doctorate and completed my studies, I went to teach in the department of higher studies in the Islamic University.

And I used to refer back to Ad-Dāraqunī as it relates to ‘ilal (the hidden/subtle defects in adith) and that which is connected to the criticism of men, and other matters resembling that. And I used to refer back to the books of the earlier scholars. I would refer back to ‘Al-‘illal’ of Ibn Abī Hātim and “Nab Ar-Rāyah” and “Talkhī al-abīr” and the likes, and I would not refer back to Al- AlBānī. I didn’t think he was at this level, I thought that he was lesser than this!

So I eventually came and read his “Ad-aīfah” and to my amazement! I t was though I was reading from Ibn Abī Hātim, Ad-Dāraqunī and the likes of these mountains. A prolific scholar in the knowledge of ‘ilal and scrutinizing aādith! An amazing affair from those astonishing matters! I was left breathless by Allah!

How did this man in these time reach this level! And so I used to say to the students “benefit from Shaykh Al-AlBānī and his books!’’’’

*The Shaykh’s masters thesis was titled  - ‘Bayn al- Īmāmayn Muslim  wa Ad-Dāraqunī’. His doctorate thesis included the checking  and verification of the book – ‘An-Nukat ‘alá Kitāb ibn alāḥ’of Ibn ajr.

Taken from the 3rd lessons wherein the Shaykh explained Kitāb Al-Īmān of Ṣaī al-Bukhārī in  Riyadh in the year 1426h.

@Abu HumaydSaalim

Source: https://twitter.com/AbuHumaydSaalim/media, 4/19/16, 9:20 PM