Sunday, September 2, 2018

Be Patient with Your Spouse and Seek the Reward from Allāh


It was said to Abū Uthmān An-Naysabūrī: What from your actions is most valuable to you?

He said: I was in my youth and my family was striving hard to convince me to marry but I refused. A woman came to me and said: ‘O Abū Uthmān, indeed I am infatuated with you. I ask you, by Allāh, to marry me.’ So I went to her father, who was poor, and he married her to me and he was very happy with that. When she entered upon me I saw her she was cross-eyed, cripple, and deformed.

Due to her love for me she would prevent me from going out so I would sit with her to soothe her heart and I didn’t display to her any aversion, yet it was as if I was burning due to the aversion which I had for her. I remained like this for fifteen years until she passed away.

There is none of my actions that I hope to preserve more than my (action of) preservation of her heart.

Sayd Al-Khātir pg. 132

Translated by Raha ibn Donald Batts (hafidhahullaah)

masjidashshura.org