Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Period-delaying pills to fast the whole month of Ramadan



Q: I have taken contraceptives pills in Ramadan. Should I make up for the days during which I did not have my period through the contraceptive effect of the pills and so I observed Sawn (Fasting) and offered Salah (Prayer) on them with the people? Is there any sin on me for taking these pills?

A: It is permissible for a woman to take a medicine to delay her menstrual period, so that she can perform Hajj or ‘Umrah (lesser pilgrimage), or observe Sawn in Ramadan, provided that it will result in no harmful effect on her. You do not have to make up for these days in which menstrual bleeding was stopped by the effect of the pills and you observed Sawn with the people.

May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and Companions!

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta’

~

Source: Fatwas of Permanent Committee|Part no.10; Page no. 341|www.alifta.net