Sunday, July 9, 2023

Returning money to its own owner to be free from guilt

 

Returning money to its own owner to be free from guilt

The third question of Fatwa no. 12228

Question 3: I have owed 150 riyals to someone for four years. I did not repay him. Moreover, he does not know anything about it. If I repay this money to him, he will insult me as he is obscene. What is the ruling in this case?

Answer: You have to repay the money to the person to whom money is due in a secret way. You will not acquit yourself of this sin except by doing so.

May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.

Chairman: ‘Abdul-‘Aziz ibn ‘Abdullah ibn Baaz

Deputy Chairman: Abdul-Razzaq ‘Afifiy

Member: ‘Abdullah ibn Ghudayyan

The Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta’: Group 1: Vol.: 14: pp. 27-28

Translation source: Majmoo  ‘al-Fataawa of Shaykh Ibn Baaz & the Permanent Committee

t.me/MajmooF