Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ruling on delaying making up for missed days of fasting without an excuse - Fatwa of Ibn Baz


Q: Five years ago, I experienced a serious illness during Ramadan and therefore, I could not fast. Until now, I have not made up for this month that I missed. Is it permissible for me to make up for it during these days? Am I sinful for this delay? Please, advise!

(Part No. 15; Page No. 341)

May Allah reward and safeguard you! 

A: We urge you to repent to Allah (Exalted be He) for this long postponement. You were to make up for the days in which you did not fast before the next Ramadan of the year in which you failed to fast. Therefore, you must give half a Sa` for each day you missed (1 Sa` = 2.172 kg) from the staple food of your area such as dates, rice, and the like to some poor people or to one poor person.
 May Allah accept your repentance and forgive you! He is the best One asked for help.

Source: Fatwas of Ibn Baz, Volume 15, Book on Fasting, Part No. 15; Page No. 341|alifta.net